Saturday, June 23, 2018

Jesus es Mi Luz

June 23, 2018

Hola y'all!

Really not much happened this week.... but I'll try to make this as interesting as possible ;)

Funny story:  Entonces, we were at a departing missionaries devotional, which we found out was actually a play about using members in the conversion process.  So we got there early to get front row seats of course.  Then this guy comes up and asks Hermana Hunter and I, hey, would you like to be in the play? Ummmm yeah!! So we got lines and everything and were in the play! I was the relief society president, Sister Lovelace, and Hermana Hunter was the primary president, Sister Childs.  It was SO funny and we had no idea what we were doing but for the rest of this week, people kept coming up and congratulating us on our fame.  It was pretty funny.  Good times.

This week I've seen a bunch of tender mercies.  One day, my companions and I were just doing the normal things.  We decided to go to the store before dinner and get some stuff, then go to dinner, then go back and get my companions packages.  It was kind of a messed up order, but that's how we wanted to do it and it seemed to make the most sense.  On our way back from the store, we noticed one of our friends from Honduras.  She doesn't speak hardly any English, and her companion doesn't speak Spanish.  However, her companion was in a wheelchair and looked absolutely terrible.  We couldn't really stop and talk, but we told her in our broken spanish that we'd pray for her.  After dinner, we went to go get packages, and they were returning from the doctor.  She threw a card at us and begged us to get sopa from the tienda.  We rushed there, bought the soup, and rushed back.  We didn't know what room was hers, but she "just happened" to be getting out of the bathroom when we got there and we were able to give the soup to her.  Then I knew we needed to do more, so we ran up to the second floor and I got her companion chocolate milk (her companion is SO tiny and my nutritionist inside knew she needed some milk and smart water), smart water, and purple gatorade for the Honduras girl.  She was so appreciative even though we couldn't really understand each other because she talks at about 500 MPH.  But I know Heavenly Father put us in the right place at the right time.  We needed to be there to help her and I needed to feel the promptings of the spirit guiding us.  It was a really cool experience and very humbling to be on the Lord's errand.  I loved it.  

I think the biggest thing I've learned here at the CCM is that there is no such thing as a coincidence.  It's crazy how involved the Lord is in our lives.  Literally, the smallest details are planned out so that we can do something as simple as buy soup for a girl who doesn't speak English.  Also, the gift of tongues is real.  I've had the hardest time understanding people.  My companions are rockstars at it, but I just can't seem to get it! However, when we were talking with the girl from Honduras, I was the only one of us who could understand what she was saying. I knew exactly what she wanted and needed and I was able to help because of that.  I know that was the Spirit helping me because I definitely can't do that on my own.  I know that if one of the Lord's children needs help, He will prepare a way for us to help them.  I seriously can't understand Spanish and it's an issue, but when I needed to understand it most, I was able to.  I think part of it is because I have a tiny bit of experience with nutrition, so I was able to know what the girls needed, so I was able to understand.  The Lord works in mysterious ways, but they always work out.  

A few nights ago, we had a great lesson with Hermana Jimenez.  After our lesson, we were heading back to our dorms, and we all burst into Jesus es mi luz.  It's our districts song and it's the greatest thing on the planet.  Our district is actually really talented and we all take harmonies and just sing! we just sang the chorus over and over because we didn't know the verses, but it was the most beautiful thing.  I loved it so much.  Jesus es mi luz.  I love Him.  I know He loves each and every one of us.  One blessing of being a missionary is the ability to feel Christ and Heavenly Father's love for all the people we come in contact with and that is SO amazing.  I love the Gospel.  

Also, the twelve apostles are just milling around the CCM.  So that's pretty flipping awesome.  The new mission presidents are here right now recieving training (I actually get to meet my president tonight), so the Apostles are training them.  Tomorrow, we have a devotional with all of them.  I might be REALLY excited.

Like I said, not a lot happened this week, but I leave for North Carolina on Wednesday.  If you have any advice for me regarding the language, companions, food, or anything else, please let me know! I really appreciate it! 

I love you all.  Things ALWAYS work out.

...And Loving It
Hermana Belliston
 
Super dramatic pictures of me walking away with my crutches in hand.... HAHA


Hermana Hunter and I​

This is my district with our Chilean instructor, Hermana Jimenez​

This is my district with our teacher, Hermana Bartholomew

This is my district with Hermana Jimenez​ again.