Monday, September 24, 2018

"It Smells Like Burnt Peanut Butter Wood..."

Hola Y'all!!

Wow.  What a week.  Hold on to your sombreros, folks.
So, we did some service por fin!!! It was awesome! We got to help some of our members rip carpet out of their basement and break apart bookshelves because their basement flooded when the hurricane passed through.  It was SO great! Also, I'm really not used to the humidity I guess.  I was DRENCHED with sweat, and we barely did anything! It was literally getting into my eyes and running down my face.  SUPER nasty.  But that's not all.  I had some latex gloves on, and when I took them off, sweat went everywhere! It was literally dripping off my fingers and my fingers were all wrinkled! I'm really sorry, that's nasty, but I had to tell y'all! It was awesome.  It was such a good day!
You can't really see it very well here, but this is what we cleared out of the 
Sabogals basement.  Such a good time!


We were up in Burlington this week, and we decided to get dinner at 4 PM at Wendy's.  Very random.  But we went to Wendy's, and there just happened to be two hispanos checking out! We got talking to them (surprise, two VERY white girls can speak y'alls language) and they asked us to come over to their house and teach them!!! Okay what?? They gave us their numbers and their address, we visited them yesterday, and they're amazing! They asked us what they need to do to be saved, so we talked about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and they were super open and intent.  It was amazing.  So basically, the Elect hide out in Wendy's.  It's awesome.  They also want us to teach their kids.  We are so blessed.
We had a lesson with Silvia about faith and how it's a little seed.  
We planted this with her and asked her to take care of it everyday.  
She is SO great and she has been watching over it since the lesson. 

We were all over the place this week.  We got to teach a bunch and visit.  We also had exchanges which is always nice for a change of pace, though very intimidating because I have to speak Spanish all by myself! But it's actually mostly just a lot of fun.

The big news is that we have transfers this week! Hermana Coleman is going to come up here! She is great! I'm excited. We actually exchange on Thursday, but it'll be great :) My trainer, Hermana Powell, is going to Huntersville to WHITEWASH (means she goes there after elders have previously had charge over the area) and she's TRAINING again! Oh, and she's doing it in English :) President Adler is really in tune with the Lord. He has changed his Spanish missionaries to English a couple of times... hopefully I'll get to stay Spanish for my whole mission!


We got matching sweaters for transfers!
#comfy


Exchanges with Sister Price!




















Not a lot by way of events this week, but I wanted to share something I studied this week.  Spanish and English are pretty different, and the scriptures are different as well.  I was reading in Matthew 8, where Christ heals a Leper.  In English, it goes like this "And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed." In Spanish, it's a little different.  The Leper comes to Christ and says "Lord, if you want, you can make me clean." And then Christ says "I want to.  Be thou clean."  Wow.  It reminded me of 3 Nephi 9 when Christ is speaking to the Nephites from the heavens, and he is pleading with them to come unto him "that I might heal you." It's just so good.  Christ died for us.  He truly is our Savior.  He knows how to heal us because He's already gone through whatever it is we might be facing.  ALL we have to do is come unto Him.  He wants to heal us.  He wants to make us clean.  All we have to do is come unto Him.  He is pleading with us to do so.  I have the great responsibility and blessing to invite others to come unto Him and partake of His love.  The Gospel is amazing.  It truly is the good news! We are SO blessed!! Sorry to get a little preachy.  I just love this so much and know y'all do as well!

Oh, also, for the subject line.  We were driving home from Asheboro and Sister Powell says, "My word.  It smells like burning peanut butter wood." and I thought, "since when has she smelled burnt peanut butter wood?"  but that's exactly what it smelled like! Sisters are weird, but we love to laugh ;)
Yep, another zipper spider! these things are nasty.  This was outside of a less active 
member's home.  It kept moving so that could be why it's a little blurry....

Marta.  What a gal! She LOVES her Bible and she LOVES the missionaries.  She feeds us all the time, and she has a delightful laugh and a very pretty smile, I promise! Man I love these Lamanites! We had a great lesson with her about 1 Nephi 8.  She drank it up and seemed to LOVE the comparisons we can find in the Book of Mormon and in the Bible.  It is so amazing to see people's eyes become opened and to see the Book of Mormon clarify their thoughts.  

.....and loving it
Hermana Belliston